The Great Grandmaster Howard Y. Kang (3/12/1931 – 4/4/2021)
9th Degree Black Belt, one of the original Taekwon-Do founders and Great Grandmasters in the world. Founder of the International Chin Mu Kwan Taekwon-Do Federation (CTF).
On the left, CTF Founder Great Grandmaster Kang, Yon Ho, in the center is General Choi, Hong Hi, and on the right Nam, Tae Hi, original founders of Taekwon-Do.
Plaque below presented by General Choi October 7th, 1972.
• In 1954 Great Grandmaster Kang opened his first Martial Arts School.
• On April 11, 1955, Great Grandmaster Kang was present when the new name “Taekwon-Do” was selected for the Korean National Martial Art. This name was submitted by Gen. Choi Hong Hi.
• In 1959 Great Grandmaster Kang formed his own Kwan/school, Chin-Mu-Kwan Taekwon-Do. Definition: Chin = True, Mu = Martial Art, Kwan = Home/school
The red color of the patch represents the Deep Spirit of Taekwon-Do
• Great Grandmaster Kang in 1955 introduced Yellow Belt. (Originally there were only 3 colored belts: white belt, brown belt and black belt.)
• Great Grandmaster Kang developed the 2-Step pre-arranged sparring.
• Great Grandmaster Kang introduced Protective Equipment, over 55 years ago, by covering pieces of bamboo with canvas.
• Great Grandmaster Kang was one of the original Masters to Create Forms (Hyongs) which we practice today around the world.
• Great Grandmaster Kang has taught Tae Kwon-Do in dozens of countries around the world.
• Great Grandmaster Kang is one of the original founders of Taekwon-Do and one of the most senior Taekwon-Do Grand-masters in the world.